Friday 30 July 2010

Food: Truffle chippings on pasta logs


Oh dear. £19.50 this thing cost. After looking up loads of truffle recipes, I settled on the simple approach. Pasta, oil, truffle shavings, fork. 


Michael firstly laughed when I showed him the small hard knotted black lump (you spent 19.50 on a lump of wood??). Then we took a bite of my creation and looked at each other (while Michael gauged how precious I was about this dish) and both burst out laughing. Mmmm, it's like wood chippings, Michael said. It was true, I couldn't taste a thing. I tried so hard. I pressed it against the roof of my mouth, chewed it twice as long, added salt, pepper, but still nothing. Just a slight mouldy tinge from the hard outside bark bits. How I do love a bit of fungus on my fungus.

The inside looked pretty though.


I think I might try heating up the rest of it, see if that makes a difference. Boo to stupidly expensive but completely tasteless food products that the world says you have to love.


No comments:

Post a Comment