Monday 9 August 2010

Chocolate trifle: A guaranteed hit... but oh so nearly a flop


Chocolate muffins spread with cherry jam, topped with tinned raspberries 
(when you can't find morello cherries)...

Plus booze (lots of)...
 

Plus mascarpone and custard...
  

Plus melted dark chocolate...

Equals a nearly completed Delia Smith's cheat's chocolate trifle,
a pretty simple dessert that always goes down a treat...

But cream that won't whip = recipe for disaster.

Found out that my bowl in which I was trying to whip said disobedient cream was too warm. Who knew? Internet forums apparently. Where would an amateur cook be without them? Just like where would an amateur hypochondriac be without health forums?

Spent literally 40 minutes at 11pm trying to whip 'whipping' cream and still it was the consistency of tap water. Arrrgh. Went across the road to our lovely 24-hour shop man, gave him a whopping £1.99 for another pot (worth it for the nice smile I always get) and it still didn't work. In a tantrum I flung the bowl on the counter and went to bed. I only punished myself of course, waking up to a nice congealed bowl of rancid cream to clean.

I shall be putting my bowls in the freezer three weeks in advance next time.

However, the trifle went down very well at the dinner party it ended up in. I finally found cream in their local shop that acceded to my whipping. And so ends the trifling tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment