Monday 9 August 2010

Vauxhall Bowling Club: Twee twee twee, all the way home


It's Sunday and I'm sitting on the couch, wondering why it is I'm shaking so much and feel like I might just start bouncing myself off the walls if I don't do something soon. Then Michael comes in and says, hm, do you think it's right that we got through a whole pack of filter coffee in one weekend? 

So like a good boyfriend, he has to drop everything and take me out to walk off the jitters. Luckily I just got an invite to the Vauxhall Bowling Club thing on Brick Lane so we went down for a look. 

Was nice to see older people getting honourable status for knowing something the hipsters don't. All dressed up in their finest whites. Not sure it was exactly as amazing as advertised but interesting all the same. In fairness, we did miss the bands but still, I didn't relish paying £3 for a cupcake at was supposed to be a brand sponsored event. There were no freebies that I could see. Not that I don't mind paying  a few quid but when you have to go to the effort of waiting to see if you've been allocated tickets, isn't that what you expect? Even a sherbert dip would have done.



More and more brands are tacking themselves on to hip events, many of them brands with a fusty middle-aged reputation - Courvoiser, Volvo and now Vauxhall - i guess in a last ditch attempt to seed themselves into the brains of their future markets. But I think they have to be careful not to overpromise. They need to tell you what to expect (that you'll need to pay for food and drink) and to do something genuinely innovative, thoughtful and interesting, otherwise they can do more harm than good. I def didn't come away thinking oh yeah, my next car's a Vauxhall. I did, however, begin appreciate the older generation that little bit more. They were the real stars of the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment